Home » Knowledge Base » Replace a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed driving licence

Replace a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed driving licence

Replace your:

  • full driving licence
  • provisional driving licence

If you applied for your last provisional licence before 1 March 1973, you’ll need to follow the process to apply for your first provisional licence instead.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You will no longer need the paper counterpart of your licence from 8 June 2015.

👉 Start now on driving licensing online

You should contact the police if your driving licence is stolen.

To replace your licence you’ll need to:

  • be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
  • not be disqualified from driving for any reason
  • pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card
  • provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years

Provide your driving licence number, National Insurance number and passport number if you know them.

Your photo

DVLA will use your passport photo for your new licence if all the following are true:

  • your driving licence is due to expire within 2 years
  • you have a valid UK passport – you’ll need to provide your passport number
  • you give permission for DVLA to use your photo

DVLA will tell you if a suitable electronic photo is not available. They’ll send you a form so you can give them a new photo.

You can make sure the photo on your licence is updated by using the photo driving licence renewal service.

What to do if you find your old licence later

You must return your old licence to DVLA explaining what’s happened if you find it after applying for or receiving a replacement.

Send your old driving licence to:

SA99 1AB

Your email address

DVLA will send you a confirmation email once you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.

Thank you for sharing!