Book your practical driving test for:
- lorries, buses and coaches
- approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 and 3 tests
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Wearing a face covering at your test
In England, you can choose whether or not to wear a face covering at your test.
In Scotland and Wales, you must wear a face covering at your test. If you do not wear one, you must have a good reason, for example:
- you have a physical or mental illness, impairment or disability
- wearing it would cause you severe distress
Wearing glasses does not count as a good reason.
If you cannot wear a face covering in Scotland or Wales
You must say if you cannot wear a face covering during your driving test when you book your test.
When you’re asked if you have any special requirements, select ‘Special learning or educational needs’, even if you cannot wear a face covering for a physical reason. Say that you cannot wear a face covering and give your reason.
Your test will be cancelled if you come for your test without a face covering and you did not say that you could not wear one when you booked it.
If you cannot wear a face covering you may not be able to take your test at the test centre of your choice.
Book a test online
You’ll be put in a queue when you start booking your driving test – you’ll be told how long you’ll need to wait once you begin. This is faster than booking by phone because the phone lines are very busy at the moment.
You can book a test up to 24 weeks in the future. There is no waiting list or cancellation list.
This service is available from 6am to 11:40pm.
👉 Start now on the driving test booking service
Before you start
You need your:
- UK driving licence number
- credit or debit card
- driving instructor’s personal reference number if you want to check they’re available
You can check the cost of your driving test before you start.
You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your test.
There’s a different service to book your driving test in Northern Ireland.
You can check for earlier appointments after you’ve booked. These are sometimes called ‘cancellation appointments’.
Book a test to upgrade your licence
You must call the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you need an ‘upgrade’ test, such as automatic to manual car, or medium-sized lorry to a large lorry.
DVSA driving test booking support
Telephone: 0300 200 1122
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges
When you do not need a theory test
You must usually have passed your theory test before booking.
You do not need a theory test to book a:
- tractor test
- test to upgrade from automatic to manual
- test to progress through the motorcycle categories (progressive access)
- lorry and trailer test, when you’ve got a lorry licence
- bus and trailer test, when you’ve got a bus licence
- lorry test, when you’ve got a medium lorry licence
- bus test, when you’ve got a minibus licence
Help with your booking
Contact DVSA to get help booking your test.